Father Malatios Mufleh of the Basilian Salvatorian Order (B.S.O.) was sent to Ottawa from the Holy Saviour Monastery in Joun, Lebanon (near Sidon). Eight months later, he was transferred to Cleveland, Ohio.
The following priests who served at St. Saviour Parish in Montreal during this period visited the community of Ottawa on occasion. They attended to the spiritual needs of this small community at that time:
The late Archimandrite Simon Nasr, B.S.O.
The late Archimandrite Maximos Chataoui, B.S.O.
The late Father Beshara Thalge. B.S.O.
The late Archimandrite Gregory Abboud. B.S.O.
Father Theophile Atalla, B.S.O.
Archimandrite Cyrill Haddad, B.S.O.
Father Elias Kwaiter, B.S.O.
June 5, 1958
Father Elias Kwaiter conducted a petition, signed by all the families concerned and presented it to the Archbishop of Ottawa, His Excellency Marie-Joseph Lemieux, requesting he grant them a church with a residing priest.
During part of this most trying period in our parish history, the late Elias Karam (deceased March 30, 1958) was a stable and constant guiding force for our community.
The Vicar General of the Archdiocese, Msgr. Gelineau requested a definite answer from the Superior General of St. Saviour, Lebanon "concerning a priest to be exclusively at the service of the Ottawa people."
Father Theophile Atalla was designated resident priest for the Ottawa community and was transferred here from Montreal, March 1, 1960.
Father Atalla celebrated the Divine Liturgy in the basement of the Basilica on Sussex Drive and at our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church on Murray Street (since destroyed by fire) for several months until the opening of our own church.
June 2, 1961
An offer of $65,000.00 was made to the Reverend Canon Guidon, Bursar of the Archdiocese, to purchase the church and rectory previously known as Our Lady of the Presentation at 1161 Riverside Drive, Ottawa.
This offer was accepted and finally approved by the Metropolitan Chapter of the Archdiocese.
The church was purchased.
The church of Sts. Peter & Paul opened her doors and was a spiritual Centre for all who gathered and prayed there. The parishionners and many friends donated most of the material and over 30,000 hours of free labor to complete the necessary repairs and renovations.
1962 November 25
The church was officially inaugurated by His excellency Reverend Windle, Auxiliary Bishop of Ottawa.
1964 September 14
The parish was canonically rected and Father Atalla officially named as founder and first pastor of Sts.Peter & Paul Church.
Father Atalla left the parish for Rome.
Father Habib Kwaiter, B.S.O., was appointed temporay administrator of the Ottawa parish and was transferred here from Montreal on October 1.
1970 January 1
Father Habib Kwaiter was officially named pastor.
1971 November 21
The 10th Anniversary of the foundation of the parish, the community celabrates the Burning of the church mortgage by His Excellency Joseph Aurle Plourde, Archbishop of Ottawa, and the Elevation of Father Kwaiter to the rank of Economos.
1978 January 20
A loan was requested by the parish from the Archdiocese towards the construction of a new church.
The Archdiocese approved a loan of $375,000.00. This amount represented half the total budget, i.e., $750,000.00. This was also approved by the members of the Metropolitan Chapter.
According to the architect's revised estimates, the cost of the new project was to be $900,000.00
Msgr. Plourde gave the authorization for the project to be undertaken.
Breaking of the Ground Ceremony.
The construction began.
1980 March 30
Palm Sunday, the opening ceremony and the first Solemn Liturgy was celebrated in our new church by the Most Reverend Archbishop Joseph Raya. There was a tremendous crowd that day and one evidenced a sense of great pride, satisfaction and deep joy among our people.
Marked the end of the demolition of the old church and rectory.
1981 April 6
The first Divine Liturgy celebrated by the Most Archbishop Michel Hakim, Apostolic Exarch of the Melkites in Canada.
The 20th Anniversary celebration and OFFICIAL DEDICATION CEREMONY...May God be glorified for ever and ever, AMEN.